27th August 2019

“With the lake I have been targeting operating a close season for the months of May and June, I was keen to get back for the open on the first of July. Recces during the close season highlighted that the shallower area of the lake had masses of thick weed growth. This usually means that the club close this section of the lake for fish safety, unsurprisingly at the opening draw this was confirmed by the bailiffs. Combined with the warm weather it was no surprise that the bulk of the stock were sat in this area. Away from angling pressure and gorging themselves on the abundance of naturals sat in the weed. The plan of attack was to fish as close to this area as was permitted in the hope that any carp that may venture out could be picked off. The first night I managed two! Only stockie’s but confident that the plan may work. How wrong was I! If anything the presence of anglers and fish with fat lips just seemed to push the rest further into the weeded shallows, way out of reach. A couple of weeks passed with very little action for myself and most of the other anglers with the odd fish being picked off here and there in open water. It was going to be a waiting game…

Fast forward to the end of the month and things started to change. Heavy rain and northerly winds forecast gave new hope. I set up in the area I had the first couple of bites from and hoped that if these conditions brought them out they’d pass me. The next morning after a night of persistent heavy rainfall I awoke for more of the same, rain, rain and more rain! It wasn’t long before I saw that they had indeed started to move, unfortunately they had decided to move up the opposite bank to where I was sat in wait. This part of the lake is one of the narrowest but still a good 300 yards from bank to bank before it enters the main body. I knew I’d have to move. I went for a mooch this was confirmed, they’d moved almost the full length of the pond already, almost half a mile from where there were and I was pitched up. I went back and started a very wet pack up before starting journey that consisted of half a mile of barrowing and a car journey. It was no surprise that when I got to the zone other anglers were present and with most of the prime zones taken I decided to set up in an area that I knew they had form for spending the night when they’re are in this part of the lake. By the time I’d got set up, cleared a mass of floating weed, made a makeshift weed barrier, got my rods out and what bait I had left it was almost dark. I dried off, had some grub and got my head down…

I awoke at first light still knackered to another very dull and wet morning. It was my last morning so I thought, sod it, I’ll roll over and have another hour. Next thing I knew I was being awoken by a savage one toner from the right hander and after a twitchy fight of long runs and me having to constantly remove buildups of weed from the braid I netted my hard earned prize. I looked in the net and instantly recognized it as one of the lakes A team, a real old character fish. On the scales she went 31lb on the nose, over 4 pounds down from her previous capture, no surprise after the spawning period but I wasn’t bothered in the slightest, it’s not every day you catch a NW 30. After a couple of calls I got a mate to come down to do the camera honors and in the heavy rain we managed a few decent shots between the lens steaming up and got the old girl back.The rest of the morning passed uneventful and I got my very wet self off home. With plans to fish a quick night the day after…

The next day I spoke to a friend on the phone who had stayed the night and he informed me that they’d pushed back up the other end of the pond where I’d been pitched originally on the previous trip, probably due to the angling pressure. Again, moving a large distance from where they were. I got in the zone early evening and got myself in position, had some food and got my head down. I awoke at first light to a half a mile long millpond. It didn’t take long for me to notice they were now showing the opposite side of the lake across from me, maybe 400 yards away in an area that was covered by other lads. I watched maybe 25 shows before a forecast south easterly kicked up that blew right into my zone. I was knackered and due off in a few hours so I decided to get my head down. I couldn’t get back down for a week or so after this so if it happened it happened. With the new wind came huge rafts of floating weed. Beep beep went the Nevs constantly. After an hour I decided enough was enough and took the bobbins off and tightened up the lines. Big leads and 40lb braid usually when they get the resistance they bolt the other way, so I was happy. No more than 10 minutes later the right hander was in meltdown. I slid on the waders and went in. After a good 20 minute battle through several weed beds and huge runs on the surface I bundled it into the net. I instantly knew what fish it was, another of the lakes A team but this one is a real special one, the best part of 50 years old and a proper old scaley NW history fish. Buzzing! I called a mate to give me a hand. We got her up on the scales, 31lb 2oz. Again, a bit down in weight but who cares! A second NW 30+ in as many days!  Lovely…”

Terry puts his faith in our size 5 Curve Points and Tungskin Hook Link to construct a simple, low lying pop up rig. Good angling mate!


Off The Mark

Guy Turnbull had a great start to the year using when he ventured out in storm Freya...

Queen of The Valley

An in-depth account of Oz Holness's run up to catching the famous old common known as 'Swirly' - The Queen of the Stour Valley.

TA Brand Reboot

Our new and improved products now come repackaged in minimalist styling, with cool dark greys and fresh green geometric patterns.

Oz Holness spreads his wings

An insight into what Oz Holness has been up to over the past 6 months since he left the fire service to become an integral part of the TA team.